...boo...

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

TEACHER MELAY?!

Did you just read 'teacher melay'?!

Doesn’t sound so good to me. I don’t know. I was just not born to teach. They say having the ability to teach is a gift. Well what can I say? I don’t have that gift. Could it be in not finding the right words when it comes to explanation? Maybe. All I know is that for some reason I just don’t have a thing for teaching.

Back in my student days, I would participate in board exercises in class for extra points. But ask me explain my solution? I can’t. In basketball, I can make a thousand lay-ups for you. even reverse ones. But ask me to teach that to you? I can’t. I can do a bank shot in billiards. But ask me to teach that to you? I can’t. I can go wild with my guitar. But ask me to teach that to you? I can’t.

But you know what’s the latest news? I am now officially a guitar instructor.

I couldn’t believe it myself! I had my first ever tutoring last Saturday. This anti-teaching thing almost ate me alive. A few hours before the appointment I texted my student. “abi, tuloy ba tayo ng 1pm?” I was still hoping that, you know, their family might have other plans and cancel our session. Until the time I was actually pressing their doorbell, I was still hesitant. I think it was all crazy. I didn’t know where to start. I’m afraid I might not be patient enough for this kid who wanted me to teach her play the guitar. She was a Colonel’s daughter, another thing that I’m really not comfortable with. I might get shot when I unintentionally get hard on her while doing her drills. Hehe! She was also a 7th grader in poveda kaya mejo inglis-inglisan kami dun.

But you know what? It wasn’t so bad at all. After a full hour, I was able to teach her some exercises, how to tune the guitar manually, how to read tablatures, how to differentiate a major chord from a minor chord just by listening, how to create a chord without looking at the chord chart and that famous kitchie nadal song. (I am not a fan. Just wanted to make that clear.) The strumming part was a headache, but we’ll get over that in no time.

As for now, I wanna make sure she learns everything she needs to. My way! Kidding! Hehe. I mean, I wanna make sure that my services are worth every peso that her parents are paying me for.

And lastly –
I’ll make her fall in love with the guitar the way I did.

I aint teacher melay for nothing.

8 Comments:

Blogger dadaydamakulay said...

teacher melay, kelan po formal lessons namin ni rors?

12:18 PM  
Blogger Marco said...

naintindihan ko un mga "i can't, i can't"...

kung sakin may magpapaturo ng kung anu-ano, self-study yon!!! haha

2:15 PM  
Blogger mengs said...

teacher melay, pwede magpa turo? hehe

5:26 PM  
Blogger melay / carme said...

daday seryoso nga kayo? papaturo kayo?!!

mengs.. sige basta sagot mo pamasahe ko papunta jan! hehehe!!

pao! bukas ah.. teacher pao kita! hehe!

walang kwentang tag board ay wala na naman.. hahaha

9:04 PM  
Blogger Gerard said...

But you know what? It wasn’t so bad at all. After a full hour, I was able to teach her some exercises, how to tune the guitar manually, how to read tablatures, how to differentiate a major chord from a minor chord just by listening, how to create a chord without looking at the chord chart and that famous kitchie nadal song. (I am not a fan. Just wanted to make that clear.) The strumming part was a headache, but we’ll get over that in no time.

Turo mo rin sa kin yang mga yan!

10:09 PM  
Blogger melay / carme said...

paras! ikaw pa! op kors my dear!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Ronald Allan said...

I'm just about to teach my son...:-) Am not as good as a guitar player as you though. :-) Any tips on what I should teach first? :-)

9:21 PM  
Blogger melay / carme said...

i always recommend having piano background first. ibang iba ang edge pag nag-aral na mag-gitara. =)

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.Soup-Faerie.Com