...boo...

Friday, April 01, 2005

FRATERNITY THING

A few days ago, a friend told me that should anything happen to him in the next days, it’ll definitely be the doing of Fraternity X..

My God naman. May ganyan pa pala hanggang ngayon.

I will never understand what these fraternities are for. Never.

Giving it a chance, I reached for my dictionary and it said that ‘fraternity’ is a noun that means ‘the state or quality of being brothers; fraternal relationship or spirit; brotherliness’. It is ‘a group of men (or, sometimes, men and women; sorority for women) joined together by common interests, for fellowship, etc.; specif., a Greek-letter college organization’. It is ‘a group of people with the same beliefs, interests, work, etc.’

Sure, I was briefed by this friend since he started this whole thing. So-called brothers in a fraternity help each other. Borrowing of books, notes, even leakages. A fraternity provides one a sense of belonging. Your ‘brothers’ can even get you out of trouble. You could even get a job if the boss or the owner of a company is your ‘brad’ (or is that brood? Whatever.).

But ONLY if you pass their initiation. You know, when they blindfold you and shout in your face and hit you with a paddle at the back of your thighs (if you’re lucky). Oh, that paddle. How can I forget? I’ve held a real one myself. 2 feet long, 8 inches wide and 2 inches thick. Yeah. Brotherhood. Hah.

Thanks but no thanks. I finished school without having a sorority. I never lacked sense of belonging from my family and friends. And I can very well get a job without a backer. Para saan nga ba ang fraternity? Para sa mga dependent sa ibang tao at walang bilib sa sarili?

O sige. Common interests daw. Camaraderie. Peace. Goodwill. Yes, I still do believe that there are groups who thrive on these matters. And of course, there are still some who have twisted beliefs on the essence of a fraternity. And for as long as there are such groups, this whole fraternity thing will not make sense to me. These twisted beliefs can always harm innocent people. Whether or not they belong to the same group. And even if they do not belong to any group at all.

Come to think of it, if fraternities never existed, then these twisted beliefs on fraternities would have never existed too. There would be no abuse of power. No dispute for dominance. No dead body wrapped in a blanket, floating along Pasig River.

What is brotherhood for if you either defend or fight each other for all the wrong reasons? Tell me.

I never believed in fraternities. For me, a fraternity will always defeat its own purpose. Please don't feel offended if you belong to a fraternity. I would gladly welcome all defenses, rebuttals, explanations, comments, thoughts or violent reactions on what I just said. Help me expand my view of this fraternity thing. Until such time that I do, I guess all I have to do is pray for my friend’s safety.
Please pray for him too. thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gerard said...

My sis is in a sorority and my brother-in-law is in a fraternity. Ang sinasabi lang nila, you'll never understand what it is like, until you're in it. Isang malaking whatever ang sagot ko.

I can't find a need to join one.

12:31 AM  
Blogger melay / carme said...

me too.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.Soup-Faerie.Com