...boo...

Thursday, October 07, 2004

PANIC MODE !!!

I spent last weekend in Puerto Galera (again). Going back to the pier, people who were sitting on the ferry’s nose were asked to go inside since it wasn’t safe to stay there anymore. It was around 4:00pm, it was raining and the waves were relatively stronger than the usual. Michelle, my panicky friend, suddenly asked me “Melay? Pwede na ba humawak ng life vest?” I answered, “shempre naman”. Smiling and looking away, I remember being in a similar situation a couple of years back. It’s what you are about to read – and more. Hope you realize the things which make you panic in your every day life and I hope they make you panic even more!

There was a time when we were stuck in the waters form Puerto Galera to Batangas Pier. It was around 4:30pm when the fan belt of our ferry broke. Thirty long minutes passed. The huge waves splashing against our ferry made my co-passengers panic. A companion was already talking to his wife on the phone. There was one who was throwing up. Some were praying. And another held on to a life vest as if it was the last. Take note, there were like only 10 of us in the ferry. I mean hello?! There were like 40 extra vests around the vessel! Shaking my head in disbelief, I stood up, sat in the boat’s nose, looked around, hoping to see sharks around us. They say they come out at that particular time.

Here’s another story. On board a flight to Iloilo, the captain announced that we were having a hard time landing because we were experiencing mechanical difficulties. We’ve been flying in circles for quite some time already and a stewardess was leading the rosary over the intercom. Sitting beside me was my supervisor at that time, who looked terrified, considering she was getting married in a couple of months. As I looked through the window, I was thinking, “What a way to die. I hope they find my body if we lose fuel and plunge into the waters.” I was cool though. I find it even funny that at those times, all I was thinking was I should have said yes to that life insurance agent.

Remember the time of Mindanao bombings? Well, at that time I was in this resort in Davao del Norte. The place was not easy to go to. It was like 4-5 hours away from Davao City. We literally drove beside mountains and through forests. It was dark. Our convoy was broken. And there was no cellphone signal. I don’t know how we got to our destination, I actually didn’t care anymore. I slept through the night like a baby. After all, I had to wake up early the next to prepare for a presentation after lunch. I woke up all cuddled up in my bed. Checked on my phone like I usually do, only to realize there was really no signal in the area. It was so remote, there wasn’t even a landline. It was a good thing I forgot all about that when I stepped out of my room. It was the freshest air I’ve ever breathed in a long time. Greens were all around. I can literally touch the foot of the mountain. Oh and the pool! How can I forget the huge bean-shaped pool! I rushed to touch the water, while two of my officemates from there asked how I find the place. I was about to answer them when I saw a soldier walking around the pool. “Ngak!! Ano ba yan! Bat may sundalo dito! Buti nakakaligo kayo ng nanjan yan?!” They answered, “Ano ka ba Ms Melay, maganda nga nanjan yan eh. Bakit ka ba natatakot? Pasalamat nga tayo dito tayo eh. Yun dati ngang pinuntahan mo, maraming Abu Sayyaf e. Dito wala mashado, NPAs lang.” I smiled. Deep inside, “Wow. Salamat ha.” On the other hand, I remembered a friend whose wish was to interview an NPA. It was interesting to know their views and what they really stand for. I ran to the room in excitement to call my friend, but again, only to realize – there was no signal.

I guess that’s just me. I really don’t panic in such situations. I’m a take-it-easy, relaxed, laid back kind of fella. After all, my composure will help loosen up things.

But you know what’s funny? I panic in situations not of those nature. Such as seeing my clock read 7:30am on a weekday. I panic when the BPI ATM system is down on a gimik night. I panic when my cellphone loses battery. I panic when I hear my pop’s voice. I panic when I’m late for a date. I panic when Globe reminds me to settle my dues. I panic when I see my badminton friends at the office lobby in my running attire and on my way to the ultra oval, when I should be playing badminton with them. I panic when I’m in the brink of falling in love. In which cases, after everything that happened, I find myself laughing at who else? Me. Hehe.

Which makes me wonder.. Why the hell do I not panic in life-threatening situations? I guess we all get shaken in different ways. Have you ever wondered in which cases do you panic? Are you like melay who panics in mostly insignificant things but shrugs off grave matters? Or the total opposite – not panicky in everyday life but then easily panicked by a simple air turbulence or sound of a gun fire? Just something to think about and make you smile.

To cap it all, I think it’s just proper that you know how my escapades ended.

  • The fan belt story? Well, we waited for around ten more minutes when the last trip from pier found us and gave us their extra belt. Oh, and there were no sharks still. Darn.
  • The Iloilo flight story? Well, our emergency landing in Cebu was successful. We just had to eat lunch in their airport and transfer to another plane.
  • And the Mindanao story? Can you imagine yourself so helpless with a cellphone unit but with no signal for three days? Jeez. That was hard. In my 3 days stay in Davao del Norte and 2 days stay in Davao City, a bomb exploded in Koronadal City. It was on the news. Months after, the waiting shed in Davao Airport was also bombed. I used to be picked up in that exact shed. Amazing.
  • Oh, and my panicky friend Michelle? Nope, she didn’t grab a life vest. All she needed was my other discman earphone on her left ear, and jack’s hand on hers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.Soup-Faerie.Com